Ag Trivia: Soil Sam and Soil Samantha
AN ACTIVITY TO GREEN UP A COLD WINTER DAY
BY DIANE OLSON
Looking for a winter day activity that lasts? Here’s a deal for you! Make your own Soil Sam or Samantha and watch it grow!
• Knee high hose (not support)
• Grass seed
• Potting soil
• Container (baby food jar, single serve milk container or disposable cup)
• Roll hose down to access toe area
• Place pinch of grass seed, spread evenly
• Fill with potting soil and form into solid round ball, about 3” in diameter
• Using yarn, tie tightly under the ball, leaving the remainder of the hose hanging
• Place “Sam” into container filled with water, allowing the tail of the hose to be completely covered
• Keep water level high to provide moisture for growth
The hose hanging in the water serves as a wick to provide moisture for the seed to sprout and grow. Within days you will see ‘hair’ growing through the hose. Decorate as you like. Cut and style the grass hair to suit your taste. As long as water is available, it will continue to grow.
For more information contact Diane Olson, MFB Promotion and Education Programs, (573) 893-1414 or email Diane.