|Baseball trivia: Busch Stadium goes through 32,000 gallons of nacho cheese made from milk annually.|
|Baseball trivia: Turf grass is usually a mixture of rye grass, Kentucky bluegrass, fescue & other grasses|
|Dairy trivia: The average cow drinks 30-50 gallons of water each day — about a bathtub’s worth.|
ACROSS THE COUNTRY BASEBALL FEVER IS RAGING. FANS FLOCK TO STADIUMS TO CHEER ON THEIR FAVORITE TEAMS. BEHIND EVERY TEAM — WIN OR LOSE — IS A SILENT PARTNER: AGRICULTURE.
BAT Made of solid wood, an official Major League Baseball bat is not more than 2.75 inches in diameter at the thickest part or longer than 42 inches. Ash trees are the main source of wood for bats. Missouri has 14 million acres of forestland and ranks seventh out 20 northeastern states in the amount of forested acreage.
GLOVE Most are made from leather, usually cowhide from cattle. Oil to soften the glove may come from fish or animals.
BASEBALL An official baseball used in the major leagues today has a core made from four long strands of high quality wool from sheep. The core is surrounded by rubber or cork and covered with two pieces of white horse or cow hide, which is stitched with exactly 108 double stitches or 216 stitches.
CAP Major league caps are made in part from cotton or wool. Cotton is grown in southeast Missouri and the southern United States. Wool comes from sheep. Both are natural fibers that help keep people cool.
TURF GRASS Many ball fields are covered with natural turf grass which is usually a mixture of perennial rye grass, Kentucky bluegrass, fescue and other grasses.
TICKETS, PROGRAMS & SCHEDULES Printed on paper from trees and may use soy ink made from soybeans.
BUSCH STADIUM ESTIMATES THAT IN ONE YEAR THE FOLLOWING AMOUNTS OF FOOD ARE SOLD AT GAMES:
540,000 hot dogs made of beef, pork or chicken
181,000 pounds of nacho chips made from corn
32,000 gallons of nacho cheese made from milk
Other popular ballpark foods
- Pretzels made from wheat flour and vegetable oil
- Soda sweetened with corn syrup
- Peanuts grown in the southern United States
- Chewing gum made from tropical gum tree with sugar and corn syrup sweeteners.
JUNE IS DAIRY MONTH
- The average cow produces enough milk each day to fill six one-gallon jugs, about 55 pounds of milk.
- It takes over 21 pounds of whole milk to make one pound of butter.
- The natural yellow color of butter comes mainly from beta-carotene found in the grass cows eat.
- McDonald’s uses approximately four million gallons of low-fat vanilla yogurt each year in its Fruit ‘n’ Yogurt Parfait.
- It takes more cows to produce milk annually for Pizza Hut cheese (about 170,000) than there are people living in Green Bay, Wis.
- It takes 12 pounds of whole milk to make one gallon of ice cream.
- The average cow drinks 30-50 gallons of water each day — about a bathtub’s worth.
- Plastic milk bottles were first introduced in the United States in 1967.
Sources: Dairy Facts, 2004, International Dairy Foods Association, U.S. Dairy Export Council, Dairy Management, Inc., USDA National Agricultural Statistics Services; International Dairy Foods Association, USDA, and the Midwest Dairy Association.