The Land of the Big Apple - Map Activity
A Social Studies WebQuest for Grades 4-5, WebQuest Agricultural Series by Missouri Farm Bureau and Missouri State University
Laura and Almanzo's trip took them from DeSmet, South Dakota to Lincoln, Nebraska, to Ottawa, Kansas, to Fort Scott, Kansas and finally to Mansfield, Missouri. Of course they also went through many other towns along the way.
Using your map skills, answer the following questions.
1. How many miles did they travel?
2. They left South Dakota on July 17 and arrived in Mansfield, Missouri, on August 30. How many days was that?
3. We know that they did not travel every day, but if they had traveled the same distance every day, how many miles did they travel on an average day?
4. If you could drive a car and were able to drive 60 miles per hour, how long would it take to make the same trip?
5. If you had a plane that could fly 300 miles per hour, how long would it take to fly to make the same trip. Assume that there was an airport near DeSmet and Mansfield.
Wilder trip map
Midwest Region Map