My Plate Food Guide
A WebQuest for Grades 2-3, WebQuest Agricultural Series
by Missouri Farm Bureau and Missouri State University
My Plate is a great way for everyone to see the correct portion size of each food group they should eat in comparison to their plate. The variety of colors allows children to easily identify the different foods they should eat.
Your task is to research and read about My Plate. You will then be able to describe the fruits and vegetables you should eat to stay healthy. And you will also be able to tell where these foods belong on your plate.
1. Read about My Plate for kids. Practice using 1 tablespoon, 1/2 cup and 1 cup measuring utensils. Measure the items your teacher provides.
2. Look at this page with pictures of fruits. How many do you recognize? How many have you tasted?
3. Print this page. Name and color the fruits. Use the word bank listed below the picture. Circle the fruits you like to eat.
4. Look at this page with pictures of vegetables. Which ones do you like to eat?
5. Print this page. Name and color the vegetables. Use the word bank listed below the picture. Circle the vegetables you like to eat.
6. Print this page. Make a list of the foods you like to eat in each food group. In the row named OTHER, list food and drinks you like that are not on My Plate.
7. As a class, select 10 foods from everyone's favorite list in the 5 areas. Your teacher will ask how many boys and how many girls like each food. The teacher will write these numbers on the chalk or white board. Create a vertical bar graph using these numbers. Print your graph and turn it in to your teacher.
GREAT! Now you can name some of the healthy fruits (red) and vegetables (green) on your plate.
My Plate Rubric
||Identifies and colors all the fruits on the page.
||Identifies and colors most of the fruits on the page.
||Identifies and colors few of the fruits on the page.
||Identifies and colors all the Vegetables on the page.
||Identifies and colors most of the vegetables on the page.
||Identifies and colors few of the vegetables on the page.
||Lists 7 or more foods from the fruit and vegetable areas.
||Lists 4-6 foods from the fruit and vegetable areas.
||Lists 1-3 foods from the fruit and vegetable areas.
||No attempt to list favorite foods.
||Included all 20 bars in the graph and identified and colored all bars properly.
||Included most of the 20 bars in the graph and identified and colored most bars properly.
||Included few of the 20 bars in the graph and identified and colored few bars properly.
MY PLATE TEACHER'S PAGE
This page was developed by Lyndon Irwin, reviewed by Lyndon and the late Barbara Irwin and is maintained by Missouri Farm Bureau. Please address questions to Diane Olson at Missouri Farm Bureau.